Camp Lead Counselor
STRATEGIC JOB DESCRIPTION
Every employee at the Louisiana Children’s Museum has the same Strategic Job Description. It includes three elements, listed in order of priority.
- Your first priority – Is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything.
- Your second priority – Is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority – Is to carry out your job function.
The Camp Lead Counselor for the Louisiana Children’s Museum is responsible for providing fun, enriching, hands on learning experiences for Museum campers and high school volunteers by leading planned activities centered on the theme of the weekly camp. The Camp Lead Counselor will work to create a fun, educational, and safe space for the campers, while directly modeling and sharing techniques with teenage volunteers and the Camp Assistant Counselor.
The Camp Lead Counselor must be available from June 1 – August 6, 2020. There will also be a week of training prior to the start of camp on June 1st. We are hiring three camp lead counselors.
- Facilitating daily lessons and explorations
- Creating a safe, welcoming, and enriching environment for all campers
- Setting expectations for camp rules and desired behaviors
- Communicating with parents and other caregivers about daily plans, paperwork, etc.
- Communicating with full-time LCM staff about registration, logistics, supplies, etc.
- Providing guidance and mentorship for volunteers
- 2+ years as a lead teacher or a summer camp counselor
- Preferred: experience managing volunteers
- Preferred: experience in informal education environments
- Preferred: Experience or knowledge of the Reggio Emilia teaching philosophy
- College degree required
- Demonstrate strong and professional communication and customer service skills
- Group / Classroom management experience or skills
- Aptitude to delegate, mentor, and communicate with high school volunteers
- Ability to take initiative and work independently or with a group
- Must be a lifelong learner
Reports to: Camp Manager
Supervises: High school Camp Volunteers, Campers (ages 4 – 8)
Coordinates with: Play Coach, Education and Exhibit staff
Interacts with: Counselors, Campers, Parents/Caregivers of Campers, Volunteers, All of LCM Staff
- Positive attitude while multitasking
- High levels of energy and enthusiasm, specifically for child led learning
- Sense of humor and humility
- Strong time management skills while demonstrating a patience for flexibility
- Fast and creative problem solver
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Passionate about child development
- Educational Program Calendar
- Camp Ideas and Activities Binder
- Camp Planners
- Past Camp Information on Shared Drive
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to Lauren Clay at email@example.com.