STRATEGIC JOB DESCRIPTION
Every employee at the Louisiana Children’s Museum has the same Strategic Job Description. It includes three elements, listed in order of priority.
- Your first priority – Is to achieve the museum’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything.
- Your second priority – Is to help others achieve the museum’s purpose.
- Your third priority – Is to carry out your job function.
This position is a key operational role within the Louisiana Children’s Museum, working closely with the COO and a part time Maintenance Manager to ensure the smooth operation of the Museum. LCM has set new standards in its new LEED Gold facility, built in 2019, primarily with sustainable materials, practices and systems. The Chief Engineer will be responsible for maintaining a high tech, energy efficient building system, supervising preventative maintenance and appropriate care through a disciplined schedule of proactive routines, as well as maintaining interactive exhibits. Schedules address systems such as mechanical, electrical, plumbing, security, etc. The North building has a radiant cooling system installed as a portion of the mechanical cooling system.
This position will be responsible for preventative maintenance and care of this premier building and outdoor grounds, as well as care for interactive exhibits.
Key Responsibilities and Associated Qualifications
Experience and work responsibilities include:
- Operates and maintains equipment in the Museum’s North and South buildings including all mechanical and electrical equipment, two pump rooms and 8 acres of outdoor grounds.
- Qualifications includes experience overseeing and maintaining a similar building with specific skills in electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and general mechanical experience.
- City of New Orleans 1st Class Stationary Engineer’s License is required.
- Manages and maintains the external spaces of the museum, including the Welcome Deck, Front Porch, Courtyard, Hello Plaza, Parking Lots, Lagoon Bridge and Labyrinth, and landscaped gardens (we have weekly maintenance for these gardens). Areas will be maintained with seasonal weather challenges and periodic extreme weather events in mind. Power washing, blowing leaves, and maintaining general cleanliness of outdoor ground both on the exterior of the building, the parking lots and grounds. In coordination with the landscape maintenance company, the positions oversees the maintenance of the landscaped spaces around the grounds.
- Qualifications include experience cleaning and maintaining outdoor spaces.
- General maintenance and repair of museum surfaces and systems, flooring, and bathrooms. Overall support of cleanliness of building and grounds, ensuring that janitorial responsibilities are efficiently managed.
- Qualifications include experience repairing various surfaces and systems and using problem solving skills to find the most efficient and cost-effective way to repair.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Maintain water infrastructure needs, including pump room for water table (Move with the River gallery), fog equipment on the bridge, cistern and grounds (such as misting in Cloud Grasses).
- Must be a certified pool operator or have extensive experience with pool chemistry and operating pool equipment and / or a pump room.
- Maintains and changes filters on heating, ventilating and air conditioning units. Operating and maintaining the BAS system to keep the buildings appropriately heated and cooled.
- Qualifications include experience maintaining various mechanical systems including HVAC, chillers and heaters.
- Qualifications include experience using a BAS system.
- Maintain efficient functioning of all interactive exhibits. The position will have a manual that describes in detail how each component should be cared for over time with replacement information included.
- Qualifications include both time management system of scheduled maintenance and reactive maintenance due to use / abuse from children
- Maintains the annual maintenance schedule and works with contracted maintenance companies for annual, quarterly and monthly servicing. Assists in obtaining quotes and arranging for services of outside vendors as needed.
- Qualifications include Microsoft excel experience
- Qualifications include excellent written and oral communication skills in order to properly communicate servicing needs to contractors; exercises discretion in identifying projects requiring the services of outside vendors as needed.
- Security equipment and systems – Activates and deactivates building alarms and responds to alarm calls during and after regular business hours.
- Qualifications include experience working with commercial alarm systems.
Minimum Qualifications and Characteristics
- Must possess a current City of New Orleans 1st Class Stationary Engineer’s License with Air Conditioning Certification.
- Any combination of education, training, and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described including related work experience in one or more of the building trades.
- Knowledge of the methods used in maintenance including basic knowledge of the following trades: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, masonry, grounds keeping, appliance repair, and electrical wiring.
- Experience using a maintenance software program specifically HIPPO.
- Knowledge of standard practices and tools used in the maintenance and repair of building facilities.
- Experience with and sensitivity around safety needs and conditions for young children.
- Experience with interactive exhibit maintenance and care.
- Experience overseeing and managing janitorial staff.
- Effectively use a variety of hand and power tools.
- Must possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license.
- Operate a forklift.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Positive thinker with an abundance of patience.
- Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
- Supervises: Third Party Janitorial Staff, Maintenance Manager
- Coordinates with: Chief Operating Officer, Maintenance Manager, Museum Experience Manager
- Interacts with: Contracted Maintenance Providers, Museum Visitors, Museum Colleagues
- Thompson Commissioning Report
- Video taped training on various systems
- Building Procedures Document
- BAS System
- Maintenance Spreadsheet
Please provide a resume and cover letter to Lauren Clay at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please address the “Qualifications” section of the job description and outline how your skill set aligns with our requirements. If a cover letter is not submitted with your resume, your application will not be considered. Please no phone calls. Thank you for your interest in the Louisiana Children’s Museum.