Marketing & Sales Director
MARKETING & SALES DIRECTOR
STRATEGIC JOB DESCRIPTION:
Every employee at the Louisiana Children’s Museum has the same Strategic Job Description. It includes three elements, listed in order of priority.
- Your first priority – Is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything.
- Your second priority – Is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority – Is to carry out your job function.
The Marketing and Sales Director is responsible for planning and implementing marketing and sales initiatives to drive awareness, attendance and ultimately revenue for all earned revenue centers. This position is responsible for understanding data analysis and demographics of all sales groups, planning strategy to grow each category, implement strategy, and assess / analyze success. Earned revenue centers include: General admissions, memberships, birthday party sales, field trips, camps, and after hours facility rentals, which collectively account for 60% of the museum’s operating budget. Manages the production and placement of paid advertising. Both Promotional Marketing and Institutional Marketing work will be led or supported from this office.
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Marketing and Sales Associate (Birthday Parties & Field Trips); and After Hours Sales Manager.
Coordinates with: CEO, COO, CFO, Chief Learning Officer, Museum Experience Manager, Communications Manager.
Interacts with: Museum Members, Museum Visitors, Teachers, Tour Groups, Caterers, Meeting Planners, After Hours Clients, Media, Vendors (printing, advertising, agencies), Non-profit partners, Museum Colleagues, Donors, Sponsors.
- College degree, preferably in marketing, business, communications or related degree
- At least 5 years of full time marketing and sales experience – with quantifiable growth record in sales
- Excellent written and oral communication skills – with samples to share
- Administrative skills for managing the department’s implemented plans, budget and personnel
- Knowledge of target audiences – local, regional, and national potential users of LCM’s various programs
- Knowledge of competitive advantages
- Creative, strategic, big picture and resourceful thinker
- Team player – ability to work with others towards integrated, shared goals
- Healthy dependence upon data and analytics of data, to inform planning and decision-making
- Strong time management with productivity and deliverables in mind, and ability to meet deadlines
- Highly competitive – desire to improve all aspects of program and to break previous records
- Steward of “family” relationships (members, educators, visitors, donors, staff)
- Passionate about getting to know “family members” (key audiences or user groups) practices – know their habits, how they gain information, how they make decisions, the processes for making a purchase, what they’re looking for in a museum visit, membership, birthday party, field trip or after hours rental – thought observation conversation and surveying regularly
- Working with LCM leadership team, devises, strategizes, coordinates and implements the Museum’s overall programmatic marketing plan, including: paid advertising, public relations, marketing strategies, special events, exhibit openings, sponsorships, publications, announcements
Qualifications include experience developing “campaign” materials that include narratives, visuals, timelines and budgets for “campaigns” of various sizes
- Identifying key characteristics of LCM “family” who can become part of each “program,” – from internal data collection and analysis / trends and external data analysis and institutional goals – to sustain, retain and grow sales for each program
Qualifications include history of data collection, data management, and data analysis as a method of informing plans and decisions, with successful results tracked and reviewed
- Working with designated staff to determine marketability of programming, create promotional strategies, cross promotions, etc. for 12-18 month planning period; creating and soliciting media contacts for sponsorships, develops proposals, negotiates terms of sponsorships, etc.
Qualifications include experience in interdepartmental planning, and coordinated long range planning to achieve shared goals
- Develops and monitors annual budget for marketing/sales of earned revenue programs
Qualifications include experience shaping, tracking, and analyzing departmental budgets of six figures or more
- Curiosity and comfort understanding external market research – continually studying other like organizations (cultural, educational, social) that offer similar services the museum offers, understanding growth potential and competitive advantage
Qualifications include hunger to track media reports on all topics of relevance (early learning, play, environment, family)
- Assists in the creation of Institutional Marketing opportunities to advance the museum’s position locally, regionally and nationally
Qualifications include experiences with distinctive story-telling on local and national stages – understanding pedagogy of early childhood education and significance of family experiences in museum exhibits, grounds, programs, etc., shaping awareness and stature of the organization while working with Communications Director
- Other duties as assigned
- Annual budget with future year projections
- Budgets (Admissions, Membership, Birthday Parties, After Hours, Field Trips, Camps, Marketing) with detailed worksheets or mini budgets of sales needed to realize success
- Analyzed data for recent past that can assist in learning about target audiences and goals
- LCM Marketing and Institutional Calendar (Outlook/Shared Calendar) – and five-year plan
- Learning Framework
- Brand Guidelines (logo options, color palette, font, spirit and style, use of children’s art, etc.)
- 12 – 36 month Educational Program Calendar, Special Events Calendars – needed for promotional marketing
- Deep understanding of LCM’s purpose, mission, vision, position – for institutional marketing
Please provide a resume and cover letter to Lauren Clay at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please address the “Qualifications” under each Key Responsibility of the job description and outline how your skill set aligns with our requirements. If a cover letter is not submitted with your resume, your application will not be considered. Please no phone calls. Thank you for your interest in the Louisiana Children’s Museum.