Visitor Services Manager
Strategic Job Description:
Every employee at the Louisiana Children’s Museum has the same Strategic Job Description. It includes three elements, listed in order of priority.
- Your first priority – Is to achieve the organization’s purpose. In other words, you in particular are responsible for everything.
- Your second priority – Is to help others achieve the organization’s purpose.
- Your third priority – Is to carry out your job function.
The Visitor Services Manager at the Louisiana Children’s Museum is responsible for guaranteeing the quality of the visitor experience working in concert with the many guests who come from many different backgrounds ensuring all operational experiences advance smoothly in all aspects of the Lagoon building. This includes the Welcome Deck and Front Porch, the Front Desk, the Talk & Play Center and the Education Celebration Rooms. The VSM is also responsible for managing the Visitor Services Associates and overseeing the front desk operations including the Point of Sale System (TAM). This is a full-time position working Wednesday to Sunday.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Coordinates with: Museum Experience Manager, Assistant Museum Experience Manager, Birthday Party Specialists, Birthday Party Hosts, Volunteer Manager
Interacts with: Chief Operating Officer, Director of Marketing & Sales, Marketing & Sales Coordinator, Communications and Social Media Manager, Events and Sales Manager, Volunteer Manager, Chief Engineer, Maintenance Manager, and community partners
- 1 – 2 years of supervisory experience
- College degree
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to make informed decisions
- Excellent customer service and diplomacy skills
- Ability to work with a variety of people and personalities
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to learn and operate a POS system
- Creative, resourceful thinker
- Team player – willing to lend a hand
- Engaging and motivational leader
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong time management
- Sense of humor!
- Problem solver
Requirements and Qualifications
- Responsible for guaranteeing efficacy in all functions and transactions of the visitor’s experience in the Lagoon building and problem solving as issues and customer service issues come up.
- Oversee and operate all aspects of the museum experience in the Lagoon building including the Welcome Deck, the Front Porch, the Bridge, the Welcome Ramp, the Front Desk and Lobby, the Talk & Play Center, and the Education Celebration Rooms.
- Qualifications include experience in operations, customer service and people management.
- Manage and direct the flow of guests entering the museum to purchase a ticket or check in as a member; make sure flow is efficient and make decisions on when to adjust.
- Qualifications include experience managing logistical operations of a front desk area and/or retail location. Experience problem solving and making informed decisions and directing people to act on those decisions.
- Manage the Visitor Services Associates including managing schedules, preparing training, communicating museum events and information, and providing support at the Front Desk and TAM Point of Sale System and performance reviews.
- Qualifications include supervisory experience.
- Managing the safety and security of the Lagoon building; procedures
- Act as a VSA and check out guests using the TAM Point of Sale System when visitor volume and demand requires it.
- Qualifications include experience using a point of sale system and experience with cash management.
- Create and provide up-to-date trainings for VSAs
- Qualifications include experience creating and executing trainings including but not limited to trainings around customer service.
- Become proficient in the TAM Point of Sale System and able to troubleshoot, provide guidance to VSAs, and run reports for the CFO as needed.
- Qualifications include experience in working and learning a point of sale system.
- Responsible for cash flow and balancing the register every single day; responsible for keeping up with each register bank and reporting appropriately to the CFO on discrepancies.
- Qualifications include experience with cash management.
- Standards of Engagement
- Museum operating procedures
- Museum Experience manual & procedures
- Educational Program Calendar, Special Events Calendars
Time Allocation (Current)
- Administrative Functions 20%
- Meetings 5%
- Onboarding and Training 25%
- Supervision / Coaching 50%
- Problem Solving / Customer Service 100%
To apply, please provide a resume and cover letter to Lauren Clay at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please address the “Requirements and Qualifications” section of the job description and outline how your skill set aligns with our requirements. If a cover letter is not submitted with your resume, your application will not be considered. Thank you for your interest in the Louisiana Children’s Museum.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The Louisiana Children’s Museum is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in hiring and all other aspects of employment, without regard to gender, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or other status protected by applicable law. In addition, the Louisiana Children’s Museum provides reasonable accommodations to qualified disabled individuals in all aspects of employment, including the application process.